Monday, December 27, 2010

School Song

Paavani
IBDP




We have a name. We have a logo. We have a uniform. Up until now, these three features used to be the sole factors that defined the physical identity of our school. Now, we welcome a refreshing addition to this mix. Our school song!  Written and composed by the Dean of Performing Arts, Mr. Geeve Matthew, our school song reflects the vision that drives and versatility offered at Oakridge.  The lyrics explain themselves, offering a sense of belongingness, fun, familiarity, acknowledgement of faults, respect, appreciation, and the encompassing motto we all gain knowledge by at Oakridge, learning the treasure within. I’d like to elaborate on my personal reaction when I first heard the complete song during morning assembly on Monday December 6th, 2010. The arrangement was set up for all Founder’s Day choir members to sing, followed by a reading of the lyrics by our Principal, Capt. Rohit Bajaj, and another rendition of our proud song. The choir had enormous range, voicing the lyrics with clarity and consistency. The words themselves made me feel proud to be an Oakridger, since the song was so easy to relate to and after one performance, I found myself joining in the chorus to sing “Oakridge International, Oakridge my school.”  By lunchtime that day, the simple yet substantive lyrics had etched themselves in my memory. I couldn’t stop singing, or at least humming the tune, during all my classes. Although it was an unexpected surprise, our school song is one of the greatest gifts bestowed by the creativity promoted here at Oakridge. A facet of the legacy I wish to leave when I leave Oakridge at the end of this year, I hope to sing the school song with perfection.


No comments:

Post a Comment