Saturday, April 19, 2014

Book Review: Esperanza Rising




The best book I read this year is definitely ‘Esperanza Rising’ by Pam Muñoz Ryan (A book recommended for Grade VI Reading Program). It is about the life of a rich girl who lived in Mexico but suddenly had to escape to the United States with her mother and start life from scratch as a farm worker.

The story is about how the girl adapts to the changes and grows into a responsible child who takes care of her sick mother. Esperanza means hope in Spanish and the little girl is hopeful through all her troubles. The book tells us about the life of immigrant farm workers in California during the Great Depression. It also gives us details of Mexican culture, language and food. I could relate this to our UOI Units of Currency Systems and Culture around the World. I was also very enthusiastic to read all the Spanish words in the book.

Another interesting part of the book was how Esperanza teaches Isabel to make a yarn doll. I made one myself with the help of my mom and even designed clothes for it.



Nikita Boddapati – Grade VI-A

No comments:

Post a Comment