Sunday, August 12, 2012

India's Olympian Lady - Mary C Kom



India's female boxer Mary Kom  with an Olympic medal in hand, she has become the nation's newest sports star. She's been winning world championships for years, but boxing has few fans in India, and many in this traditional country can't fathom the idea of a woman landing lethal left hooks.

Mary Kom, the 29-year-old mother of 5-year-old twin boys, was guaranteed at least a bronze medal with a victory on Monday and many were hoping she might bring back the first ever gold medal won by an Indian woman, but she lost her semifinal match to British boxer
Nicola Adams at the London Games on Wednesday."Even though she was to settle for a bronze, you'll always be our Golden Girl.

My whole country was hoping for me to win a gold medal, and I am sorry I have not come back with that." "Sorry, I couldn't win Gold or Silver but I gave my best," said MC Mary Kom after her 6-11 loss against Britain's Nicola Adams in the semi-final of the 51-kg category event. But she clearly doesn't need to be apologetic; she has made the country proud with her valiant effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment