Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Following my Passion – Basketball !!!


I was very fortunate to get selected in the 39th National Basketball Tournament for the Sub-Junior Girls. My journey began from the TAISI (The Association of International Schools of India) tournament where I represented Oakridge International School.  I am thankful to my School Basketball Coaches Mr. Kishore and Mr. Srinivas who informed me regarding the district level selections happening at YMCA in Secunderabad. There were players from different schools and we used to practice from 4.00-6-30 p.m. for almost 15 days. Each one of us was geared up for the ‘District level tournament’, Ongole, 2012. This was in the month of April and the weather was not that pleasant but the team spirit helped me going. The rigorous practice at Hyderabad and Ongole helped us in conquering the Sub-Junior tournament.

One fine morning, to my surprise I was informed about my selection in Andhra Pradesh team along with two other girls from Hyderabad team. The selection committee was headed by Mr. Sampath Kumar, the Chairman of Technical Commission, Basketball Federation of India and this was going to be in Goa from May 4th onwards .We had hardly 4-5 days which was just enough time to know each other and on top of it we were supposed to co-ordinate well within the team. Any way we took up the challenge and started with our journey for Nationals in Goa with lots of hope.

The tournament was held in Angnel Ashram which was a bit far from the hotel. The National tournament was inaugurated by the chief guest, Shri. Manohar Parrikar, Chief Minister of Goa. The inaugural event was very colorful and we got to taste the best of Goan Cuisine. This particular journey helped not only in improving my technical skills but also in adjusting with people from varied background.

It was a very wonderful learning experience playing with different players from other districts. I learned many new techniques and I think I have improved a lot than before. I have also built up on my stamina level.
I am grateful to my coaches Mr. Kishore and Mr. Srinivas for the training and also for providing me with ample support inorderto make me a national player.


No comments:

Post a Comment