Monday, November 4, 2013

Diwali for Me – Green All the Way

It’s another year full of happiness. Well, there is sadness too when you are away from your family in a far-away city among strangers and that only increases on occasions such as Diwali. Last year I was home for Diwali. This year I am in Hyderabad, a place 2053 kilometres away from my hometown. Diwali didn’t seem exciting and thrilling as it was before.

At Oakridge, along with the kids, we are taught many things such as save our planet. I feel Diwali can be celebrated with the same amount of joy and vigour even without the fire crackers.

I enforced the green Diwali law to my students and also to my friends and colleagues. Some of them promised to have a green Diwali but for some it was hard to decide between merry making that comes from the bursting of crackers and the silent yet effective and fulfilling green Diwali. 

I met some kids who were so proud to show me the burns that they got while bursting crackers. Well, they might think of it as a brave act, but as responsible adults, we teachers and parents need to sensitize the issue.

I did my bit in spreading the message of green Diwali.   I did my part, hope you all will do too in the days ahead.




No comments:

Post a Comment