Friday, February 17, 2012

MIT MUN Conference

MIT MUN Conference Report


By Aliza Noor Khan


Massachusetts Institute of Technology, one of the world’s most renowned and prestigious universities,
held its very own Model United Nations Conference from February 10th-12th in its MIT Campus in
Boston. MITMUNC is unique because it endeavors to not only simulate the United Nations but to also
provide delegates committees that focus on scientific and technological issues. Oakridge, in the past,
has attended many MUN Conferences, and students were thrilled at the opportunity to attend one
eminent as MIT’s.


MIT MUN was, on a personal note, an intensely rewarding intellectual experience. I’m greatly
enamored by the MUN form of debate, and fell in love with the hallowed halls and capacious parks of
the MIT campus. This experience cannot be matched by a simple college tour and tourist visit. Walking
to Building E-51, every morning for 3 days, with a sense of purpose, with the academic inspiration, with
friends I had made at the conference, was an experience that will remain imprinted in my memory.


This is only one testimonial and I’m sure the endorsements of my peers will echo my sentiments. I’m
incredibly grateful to Oakridge for providing the 10 of us with this incredible opportunity!


Aliza Noor Khan received the Best Delegate award for the United Nations Security Council.


Rohit Reddy received a Verbal Commendation for the Human Rights Council. Oakridge represented the
People’s Republic of China.


Aliza Noor Khan’s name is mentioned in the MIT MUN website. The link to the website is…




There were ten students who attended the MIT MUN conference. These are some of their reflections….. 




Aditya Tumuluru: The conference was extremely worthwhile and truly replicated the United Nations. It was just so…cool! The conference was unique and the whole Boston experience was excellent. I loved the chill, the long walks, good food and comfortable hotel. I was part of the United Nations Environment Programme.We had long hours of in-depth debate about biodiversity threat and Kyoto protocol.


Pratik Kunda: MITMUNC was a great experience for me but the best thing of all was the guided tour to MIT and Harvard before the first day of the conference. After an exciting weekend of debating, I seemed to enjoy the whole MUN experience a lot more too.


Rohit Reddy: MIT MUNC is my first MUN conference. Although I was scared at first, through the committee sessions I opened up and gained knowledge. I also had a lot of fun! The most amazing thing about the trip was the campus tour of MIT and Harvard. I’ve never expected to visit these universities. Through the tour, I learned more about the application process and how complex it is.


Tvisha Mehta: It was an amazing experience because it was the first time I took part in an MUN. I thought I would not like it but I was proved wrong. This trip has been a very memorable one and a new experience for me.


Preeti Reddy:  A day full of Harvard and MIT campus tours proved nothing when I walked to E51 Building everyday with my fellow delegates. I fell in love playing the role of a diplomat discussing international concerns.


Rohini Krishnan: An amazing experience. The whole conference was very biology oriented and many viable solutions were discussed. I was impressed with the quality of debate and our final resolution was written very well with inputs from all delegates. I look forward to participating in many more MUNs.


Aliza Noor Khan: A rewarding and enriching experience. The UN Security Council has emerged to be my favorite MUN committee ad the MIT MUNC largely contributed to it. 


Girish Duvvuri: A valuable learning experience that had everything I enjoy in an MUN.


Abhishek Tumuluru: This trip to Boston was well organized and a memorable trip. It clearly replicated the United Nations experience and was also fun at the same time. The tour led us from a spooky graveyard to a haunted hotel in which we had a great time. It was truly worth it to go to Boston with.

No comments:

Post a Comment