Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Two Seeds



Two Seeds lay side by side in the fertile soil. The first seed said, “I want to grow! I want to send my roots deep into the soil beneath me… I want to unfurl my tender buds like banners to announce the arrival of spring…. I want to feel the warmth of the sun on my face and the blessing of the morning dew on my petals!” And so she grew… The second seed said, “I am afraid. If I send my roots into the ground below, I don’t know what I will encounter in the dark. If I push my way through the hard soil above me I may damage my delicate sprouts… what if I let my buds open and a snail tries to eat them? And if I were to open my blossoms, a small child may pull me from the ground. No, it is much better for me to wait until it is safe.” And so she waited… A yard hen scratching round in the early spring ground for food found the waiting seed and promptly ate it.

Life has its challenges and risks but facing them boldly is very important. It is a common human reaction to avoid the unknown and the difficult; even when the familiar and the easy are stifling us and making us miserable. If you want to achieve growth, fulfillment, and happiness in life though, you are going to have to choose to take challenges on a regular basis, rather than choosing to remain stuck in a rut created by fear and a craving for certainty.
Without the challenge, it is very difficult to learn and grow. We must stretch our wings in order to soar higher. If you keep doing only what comes easily and naturally, you will never develop the skills needed to conquer the more difficult tasks. This doesn’t mean that we need to leap out of the swamps of mediocrity and expect to race straight to the mountain top. One step at a time is the way to reach even the highest peak. 

“The saying goes that it is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. We can expand this to understanding that it is better to have tried and failed than never to have tried. As the saying goes, „nothing ventured, nothing gained. If you try, there is a possibility that you will succeed. If you don’t try, your chance of success is zero. Even if you don’t succeed, you will undoubtedly have learned something through your attempt. And it is never too late to try again!”

Whatever it is that you dream of in your life, look for ways to begin making your dreams come true. When you find an opportunity, no matter how big or small, or how scary, summon every ounce of courage you can, and dare to try. The only real failure in life is the failure to try, so make a leap of faith whenever you can, and take the challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment