Monday, September 23, 2013

CAS ACTIVITY AND REFLECTION OF GRADE 8 STUDENTS



We went to this school in Hydershakote called Joyland. We taught English to 4 students in grade 9. We were told about this a day before and I (Sreya), Rachana, Sushmita and Ankita teamed up and decided to teach English. We didn’t exactly know how much of English the students we were supposed to teach knew, so we decided on the following plan…
·        Give them a test to see where they stand.
·        Teach them accordingly.
Mr. Narinder assigned us to the ninth grade and showed us to the 4 students we were to teach. They took us their classroom which was on the ground floor. We gave them paper and gave them a test to see how good they were. After we corrected the tests, we decided to teach them tenses since they didn’t know a lot about tenses we taught them the three basic tenses: Past, Present and Future.
Then we made them do a couple of exercises based on this. After that, we taught them Figures of Speech like similes, metaphors, etc. They were really easy to teach because they were mature and determined to learn. I myself learned a lot from them because they listened well and learnt as much as they could and, honestly, I take a lot of things for granted which I’m not supposed to. I was really impressed by them. We taught them the different figures of speech and then we decided to play a game- Sreya (grade 8)

Our eighth graders went to the joy land school located in Hydershakote  on 12th September.
My friends Noyonika, Sravya, Himika and I decided to teach the eighth graders English. There were only ten students in the class. They were something way beyond than what we four expected. They were active, smart, intelligent and very good listeners.
We really didn’t face anything that was difficult as they were very cooperative, it was not hot in the class and the class was big enough. We were really comfortable. We made them write and play games that were related to our topic. They all were ready to try to figure out answers and answer. They all contributed to each other.
We felt so glad to teach them and also we found ourselves as good and kind teachers. The school we went last year was something really different. Then it was Himika, Sana and I who taught them dance. All the students we taught were girls - Shweta Sunkari 


On Thursday, September 12th, the students of 8H  went to teach at Hydershakote, in this school called ‘JoyLand School’. We’d all chosen grades beforehand based on our ability, but we weren’t really sure of what to expect.
At first, we had science for the 7th graders in mind, but by the time we got there we knew that we had to teach English for 9th grade. It was daunting, originally, knowing that we were teaching students older than us, but when we learned that there were only 4 people we were going to teach, we relaxed slightly. It would be easier for us to teach them one on one.
The students were very quiet and willing to learn. They watched as we wrote and listened as we spoke. They spoke only when spoken to. I know that may sound cheesy and unrealistic, but it was, quite honestly, truly. Apart from tenses, we also taught those Figures of speech and active and passive voice. It was fun yet tiring; at one point I wanted nothing but water. But it doesn’t matter now. I’m happy and hydrated again.
If I had the chance to do anything differently, I would’ve planned this out beforehand. I feel like we wasted precious time in thinking about what to write and do for them, though it was not long, we did take some time and in that time, we could’ve taught more than what we already had. All in all, I had a great time at JoyLand for CAS, and I’d love to do it again - Rachana Komatireddy

After a long assembly, my class hurried back to class. We had to quickly get ready as we would be leaving for a CS trip (Its CAS without Action). We were informed it was a school, but not the one that we had been before too.
However, to my great shock I discovered that I had been out of the team I had been in, and it was only Drama for which I had prepared a plan. But, thanks to my friend Vinay, I was able to join the Science and Math Team, two subjects which I had previously taught at Vivekanda Vidyala. My new team consisted of Ayman, Thiru, Vinay, Karthik and Nishant. We all got into the bus and after a long ride finally reached the Joy land school, which was in Hydershakote.
The school was much bigger and cleaner than I had anticipated, however in the 7th grade classroom in which we were going to teach there were only 8 students! As we began our explanation in Maths however, we learnt that they were very polite, friendly, quiet and eager to learn. We started out with algebra which took a little while to be generally understood, and the same applied for Powers. While the boys were a bit slow so we asked Thiru to help explain to them what was going on. The girls however were quite bright and answered almost all the questions. We taught Photosynthesis with a long detailed diagram
But I think that this was the best thing that I have ever experienced in CAS. It was hot tiring and boring to repeat everything twice in three languages, yes. But I had fun and understood how mutual respect and equal work from each side (we taught, they listened) are great tools for learning and friendship. Another trip there? Count me in - Mruthyunjay Rao K 






No comments:

Post a Comment