Tuesday, December 10, 2013

It Keeps Getting Better — PYPX an Amazing Journey, So Far...


Nervous! Anxious! Excited! Scared! Well, these were some adjectives that would have described me best at the start of the PYP exhibition journey. It seemed to me, so much to travel and with so little knowledge about what I was supposed to do. It all seemed so haphazard and disorganised and even, my “to do list” seemed all over the place. I had no idea how to start and what I would tell the students who would be working under me for I would be one of the mentors for them. It was not a good feeling to be honest.

The support and assurance I was getting from my coordinators and my colleagues seemed meagre to build the confidence in me. This was how I started off. Not many days had passed and it was already time for the first mentor meet.

19th November, 2013 was when I saw the brightest bunch of cool kids. Their faces exuded excitement and thrill. They were the ones who comforted me more than anyone else and the much needed push, seemed to come from these kids. The job seemed a little easier now. “Passion” to work with these kids started overtaking the initial nerve-racking feeling I had. 

To break the ice and kick-start our exhibition journey, I had planned for a Marsh Mallow activity. The idea behind having this activity was to make the children realize the importance of cooperation and teamwork while having an individual opinion at the same time. The job was well done as they were able to point out few points that are required for building a strong team working under the same issue “Rights”.

Next, it was time for me to know from the students their area of interests under “Rights.” We had a long discussion and they came up with their issues that had really touched their hearts while understanding various issues around the globe. Then there I was ready with the four issues the kids really wanted to find more about. They were 1) Gender Discrimination 2) Child rights to education and life 3) Habitat loss due to human activities and 4) Hunting leading to extinction of Animals. All the 9 mentors of the PYPX shared that they had a similar experience and that each of them had about 2-4 groups on the issue they were helping the kids deal with. So, uniformity was seen in all 5 issues of the PYPX.

After this, it was time for blue printing the Matrix for each of the issues. Teachers started brainstorming for an appropraite Central Idea for the Exhibition and soon our dear colleague Sita Supriya came up with a brilliant Central Idea that would embody all the 5 issues viz. Rights, Culture, Personality, Child Labour and Health. After this, kids had to form their own Lines of Inquiry, select the concepts, attitudes, skills and profiles — all related to their respective issues. To our surprise they all did a wonderful job as they came up with some amazing lines of inquiry. This was done as the idea behind PYPX is to make the kids learn about concepts of independence and cooperation.

This time, much importance is being given to the entire process of the inquiry rather than the final presentation. Thus, it was an inevitable prerequisite for everyone related to PYPX that significance was to be given to even the smallest detail from day 1. Meanwhile we saw ourselves in several meetings with our PYP coordinator and also with Head Mistress regarding the Exhibition. We were getting valuable feedback and interesting ideas from our coordinators and it helped a lot to make the journey more exciting.


In the course of the PYPX journey, students are learning about being responsible, being independent and learning to cooperate. These actually are also the essence of the whole PYP exhibition. Besides, students are also learning a lot about primary and secondary resources, the basic interview etiquette, and netiquette since they are also using online (Edmodo account) to share and discuss ideas. This journey is rigorous and grilling but I keep reminding myself that this is going to be a sweet beautiful memory, in not more than 17 or 18 days. So, I am just making the most of it, good and bad, the way it comes. So far, the journey has been great and I’m hoping for the best to come yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment