Monday, December 16, 2013

Student Reflections on Field Trip to Meenakshi Jewellers

On November 8th 2013, we went on an exciting field trip to a gold manufacturing unit where I was amazed to see and learn how gold jewellery is made. It’s not made of pure gold because pure gold could break easily so they add 8 % of other metals like copper and silver to it to make it strong. They mix all the three metals and melt it together, then they put it in the mould to get the shape and then insert the jewels.
Jia 3H

Before I went to gold manufacturing unit, I knew nothing about how to mould gold, melt it and use it. After the trip, I learnt that gold has to be mixed with metals to make it stronger. They melted together to liquefy it and then moulded it in a container with required shape. Once it is cooled, they put it in cooler which cools and cleans it and later it gets polished and stones get added to it to beautify it.
Aditya 3G

It was fun to see the process of gold being melted at high temperature and later moulded and cooled to make it hard. The gold melted was like hot lava. I also learnt how people add different materials to metals to make them useful. Overall, the trip was cool.
Vamsi 3H

Gold is melted in a furnace and I learnt that gold melts at 1024 ° C. I learnt how they make beautiful designs with gold using moulds with wax. It was really an interesting trip for me. 
Roanakh 3G


No comments:

Post a Comment